Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Progress Report

1. I meeting some of my self-inflicted goals for the semester. Most of them, actually. Just not in the way that I'd like to, or in the time that I feel is goodly for my schedule and what needs to be done. I'm getting reading done, and I do research, but then I neglect to post, which is stupid.
2. This semester, I have read Hamlet, King Henry V, Othello, The Taming of the Shrew, and The Tempest. (Confession: I have not finished all of the plays, of which I am severely ashamed. I'm finishing them off, though. A little each week.) I use Shakespeare study guides, like No Fear Shakespeare, and I also use wikipedia as a starter tool to look up authors and articles on the plays that I am reading. I have looked into the idea of language as a theme, music in plays, and also politics in plays.
3. I'm awful at linking to my own blog, but I enjoy commenting on others. I also mention other learning and classes in my posts.
4. I actually really love Shakespeare, and I love discussing his plays. Some, more than others. I find it most engaging when we get to talk about what we've learned, because that way, I get to bounce things around with other, more intelligent people than myself. Personally, I've noticed certain themes that continue to be written about that I have no intention of addressing on the outset. Like politics. And yet I have noticed it in almost all the plays I've read. I've noticed that while I have a love of research, I also have a love of going ADD and never posting before running off to the next subject. This is not a good habit. I wish to repent.
5. I have done pretty well on commenting intelligently, and the posts I do write up are the result of some good brainwork. Unfortunately, what I need to work on is actually posting the things that I've been working on, so that people (like my dear teacher) can see that I have been making an effort for this class.
6. I really love reading/listening to Whitney's ideas. She seems to come up with some really creative blurbs that get me thinking. I work well off of Sarah Jane and her blog as well. She brings up her opinions and then makes connections that I hadn't thought of. When she posts, it gets me going, and then I want to look up that information and go deeper into it as well. Joanna is another one that I follow. I enjoy her posts on the women in the texts, and how they feature in the plays. I find Max's in class comments amazingly intriguing, and I want to go diving into the ideas that we brainstorm in small groups.