Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Peer Evaluation: Laura Davis

Laura's blog has the fascinating topic of myths and archetypes in Shakespeare's plays. I am looking over her blog for a peer evaluation.



Posts:

  • Quantity: There is a good amount of posts overall (38), and there are 16 that have particulars to the theme.
  • Content: There is some very good analysis going on here! Sometimes it seems a little shallow, like it was a bit hurried, but it completely works. I enjoy that it's not verbose, and it's not boring me out of my mind. I appreciate that many of the titles are very descriptive (Archetype: Hero, etc). 
  • The posts were never too long, just over a screen's length, and they were very consistent. I felt a stream running through because of that, and I liked it. 

Research:

  • Sources page was well linked and very informative.
  • Thesis and Cohesion: The theme is very integrated into the posts, and it is developed nicely. This blog follows the theme of discovering different archetypes and myths in Shakespeare, and Laura does an excellent job doing so. It is very cohesive not only because her information flows well from topic to topic, but also because there are links within the posts to help tie everything all together, and show readers where to go for clarification. 
  • Maybe adding a little bit of credibility/author information for sources in the posts would be nice. Not too much, but it would be nice to know who is writing your information.
Personal and Social:
  • Interactions: Laura does an AMAZING job with this one. When people comment on her posts, she takes their advice and questions into consideration, and you can see that reflected in her following posts. It helps for a well-rounded, and very interesting blog.
  • Readers can follow along with Laura's thinking process by going through her posts.
  • There is a voice to the posts, which makes it less dry than a research paper, but she still sounds intelligent. Good for her! That's a difficult blend sometimes. The nature of the posts are well separated as well, so it's easy to tell which are her brilliant updates, and which are more casual.
Design:
  • Background: I personally love pink pretty things, so I like the background. I suppose if you wanted to really get into things, then it's possible to have some sort of mystical background, but I find a certain appeal to a blog by a girl who's interested in Shakespeare.
  • Side Content: There isn't a lot there, and I don't think that there needs to be. It's easy to make it too busy. I would suggest a tag cloud type of business, because it's so handy for readers looking for a particular topic.
Great job, Laura. In my opinion, you did a fantastic job!