Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Self-Evaluation: Looking Back and Having All the Good Ideas Now

Cover Story



Goodness, but this is almost always the worst part of any assignment! I see everything I could have done better, and everything that I would do if I had more time. But off we go to what I think of my own work and research.



Posts:

  • Quantity: I have about 34 posts overall, with about half to two-thirds of those actually being relevant to my research topic. They grew and waned in substantialness and intelligence as I was seeking out a topic, but they became more focused and substantial as I grew more grounded on my topic of sound.
  • Content: There's all sorts of stuff on my blog. At first I wandered about wondering what to choose as a focus point, and then I started to get more into my topic. I kept it pretty varied in regards to what aspect I was looking at within my topic, but I managed to keep them all tied together.
    •  I made some exploratory, some expository, some apologetic, and some exuberant. I also use a lot of media, partly because of the nature of my research and partly because it looks boring without any pictures. 
    • I definitely recognize that I should have included more of the research that I actually did in my posts. I would find stuff, it would inform me of what to look for, and then I wouldn't include it since it was just reference work and I wasn't quoting. I realize that even though that's not plaigairism, it would have been could to include my processing.
    • I analyzed a lot of different productions of films, and also did some textual analyzing as well.
  • Format: I tried to keep these simple, and straightforward. I put important stuff in bold, usually with colors, and in capitols. It helped me as well. I also linked my posts together, as well as to other people's.
Research:
  • I definitely feel that I keep close to my chosen topic. I inter-link my posts to each other, and also to class mates' blogs. My direction posts help map out where I'm going as well.
  • I follow my idea of the importance in sound to the understanding of text as crucial, even while looking at it from several different angles.
  • I used a lot of online sources, but they were mostly reference sources (see in CONTENT up there). I did have some books, but I was mostly interested in showing the readers what I was talking about. I definitely could have been better about that.
Personal and Social:
  • I think that I was able to keep a good voice throughout my blog. Cara, who did my peer review, agrees on that point. I felt very flattered by the praise that she gave, actually.
  • I feel that although I could have done more, I was able to show my process of thought pretty well. I put something up, and then I generally followed through with that thought, and then went on to the next logical thought, or the next bullet on my list.
  • I did a lot of interacting with my classmates, and I found that to be very helpful. People gave me helpful comments, and reading others' blogs helped me to be able to reference them in my own. I liked being interconnected and helping each other out. It really made it fun, and a lot easier as well.
Design:
  • My background is nice and vintagely modest. There's nothing distracting anywhere. It's all about the posts. I do have a sidebar with a post navigator (I find that helpful for myself!) and with a tag cloud (which, I regret to say, is not up to date with all the posts and their topics. Sorry!). I'm excessively technologically challenged, so that's about as good as any of that is every going to get!