Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sounds and Silence

This is a production of The Winter's Tale from 1981. Since my personal focus is on sound, and how it focuses the text, I am interested in different castings and productions. Firstly, may I say that after being used to having music in the background of almost every movie that we watch, it is strange listening for sound in a musicless production? Sometimes you don't realize what you're used to until it's suddenly not there.

I would refer you to Hermione's monologue that starts at 6:00. I listened to this seeing how sound could develop this emotional section. I found the inflections, tones, and pauses, that this actress applied very effective. Music is an arrangement of tones and silence, and that makes her speech a bit of  a song, one that appeals for justice and a restoration of her honor.

This is the animated version of the play done by BBC. Our scene starts at about 2:25 and goes to about 4:17. This is a short poignant version of the scene. It really brings to mind the spectacle part of the Romance plays, with the whooshing winds, the fact that Hermione's veil is always moving, and the flashing lights. Sound wise, I thought it interesting that this scene was set in a giant room, and all the words echoed. It gave it an eerie, other worldly type of feeling. It's different than the mute surroundings in the first production, which brought all emphasis on the words, in the moment of speech, rather than the echoes that came after

I am looking for more productions. If anyone can find a good rendition of the monologue by Paulina, please let me know. That was the speech I was originally looking for!