Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sounds and Stress

I am looking into SOUND in Shakespeare's plays. I don't know if I want to look at the sounds Shakespeare specifically included, or more at the performing aspects of sound. I'm kinda fishing around, but I plan to have a focus by the end of this weekend.

I would like to do a quick looking into of the flash mob that part of our Shakespeare class did last Saturday. There is a video posted on Whitney's blog of the actual event. I noticed that the sound of the "theater" we picked was difficult to work with: it was a very echo-y food court in a mall, with music from speakers, noise from vendors, and chatter from the patrons. It was actually hard for me to hear "Juliet" from where I was standing on the sidelines because his lines were nearly lost in the din. It made me think of how actors in Shakespeare's day would have made themselves heard in their theaters, where there were tons of people, and no microphones. I am in the process of looking into that. Does anyone know a good source to find out about acoustics in the Globe Theater.

By way of announcement/explanation, the reason that we've been sparse this week on intelligence is that there are other happenings in my life that aren't part of this class, but require my attention. It's been a great week and an awful week, and I haven't time to do anything. But hopefully this weekend will allow to catch back up and get back on my feet again. Thanks for your patience and great tips. I appreciate all of them!